- Babis Alexiadis - The River Project
- Disappointed but we remain a city of culture
- Our Fabulous Supporters Who Were #intheroom
- Your Cultural Ideas - Visualised
- CABE Urban Design Summer School
- Disabled actors bring history to life
- Book Festival: Books Launched
- Book Festival: Books Launched
- Walking As One by Adam Magyar and Rhubarb-Rhubarb
- The 26th Birmingham International Jazz & Blues Festival
- It?s time to Simmer Down and feel the festival vibe
- Residents make their mark on Lozells
- Something to SHOUT about in Birmingham this November
- Birmingham Chamber Music Society Season 2010-11
- Black International Film Festival returns to Birmingham
- Moseley Folk Festival's Fifth Birthday
- National Youth Orchestra comes to Birmingham!
- Rosetta Life's summer programme of dance for people living at the end of their lives
- Deaf Awareness Week
- BE Festival 2010
- Bums On Seats
- The Spectacle Works 'on the look out' for new artists
- People power boosts final pitch
- Objects of Affection: Pre-Raphaelite Portraits by John Brett
- Birmingham Council of Faith's programme for Autumn 2010
- Bullring sculptor, Laurence Broderick, to unveil bronze editions of his iconic sculpture
- Road Works
- Hereford Photography Festival's Open Exhibition
- World Cup anthem hits the right note
- University award takes jewellery to Beijing
- Birmingham City University talent shines in the real world
- Jazz in Birmingham
- The Mostly Jazz Festival Is Coming
- Deaf Multi-cultural World Party
- Treasured - A Secret Journey
- Black International Film Festival - Call for Entries 2010
- Andris Nelsons, magician of Birmingham
- Students design way to 20:20 success
- Egyptian Treasures go on show at the Barber
- Launching the cultural icons of the future
- National Academy of Writing Summer Show
- A Summer of High Notes at Birmingham Conservatoire
- Two Tales of Cities: Birmingham School of Acting's Summer Season
- Events at the NEC
- Roots Music in Birmingham
- First Light
- The Great Excursion
- Beyond Bricks
- Reuben Colley Fine Arts Summer Exhibition
- Jam House's Ben Drummond hailed as "One to Watch"
- Jam Houses Adds Musical Colour to Top Print Show
- Birmingham's Culture Bid Gets A Big Send Off!
- Digby, Lord Jones of Birmingham, backs the bid
- World Music in Birmingham
- Folk Music in Birmingham
- The BE Festival Fundraising Fiesta
- 5 Soldiers World Premiere
- From Birmingham to Broadway!
- Childhood nostalgia may influence how we decorate our homes in 2011
- Design dreams come true for Birmingham City University students
- In Search of Stardom
- Birmingham Pupils Set To See City Designs Unveiled
- Scottish Praise for Birmingham Chamber Choir
- Leading economist stresses value of good design
- Quality Streets are for Sharing
- ?The Future of Building? in Birmingham
- A Night at the Museum in Coventry
- Ikon Insiders
- Orchestra backs City of Culture bid through people's musical memories
- Hip hop to Bullring for Festival finale
- Riverdance star returns home to Birmingham with first solo show
- City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra News
- Your chance to influence final City of Culture bid
- 'Invisible dances' bemuse shoppers on High Street
- Hold the Front Page! UK City of Culture writing competition
- Share your memories of The REP
- Bass Festival Gets to the Heart of Music and Heritage
- Mitchy Becomes a Birmingham Bwoy
- Birmingham blogging to win title
- Put your shirt on the bid
- BRMB boss backs bid
- IDFB Dance Challenge
- Your latest fantastic photographs
- Grounded flights won’t halt the dancing
- More Birmingham architecture photos
- IDFB diary dates
- 24 hours of Birmingham culture
- Your architecture photos flooding in
- City architecture under the spotlight
- West Midlands’ Businesses back culture bid
- Election Debate: Creative Industries - 20th April, Birmingham Hippodrome
- Water-way to launch a dance festival!
- Birmingham Jazz Director up for top award
- Help us shape the Birmingham bid
- The Big Culture Blog - 24 hours in the cultural life of our city
- Night at the Museum
- Culture crown would significantly boost city tourism
- International Dance Festival Birmingham 2010
- Thinktank Goes Wild!
- West Midlands Open goes wild west
- Local people showcase their artistic talent
- Anglo Saxon Hoard Saved
- The West Midlands Open Art Show
- Come and Join the Fantasy Bus! And Find Out About Birmingham’s Big Ideas
- English Originals 2010: Grace & Danger – Danny Thompson, Graham Coxon, Bellowhead, Jackie Oates + more
- Beverley Knight to be honoured on Birmingham's Walk of Stars
- Birmingham Wins a Place on the Shortlist for UK City of Culture 2013
- Bridget Riley – Flashback Exhibition
- Launch to save the Staffordshire Hoard for the West Midlands
- Events for Children & Families at Ikon Gallery, March-May 2010
- ACE Dance and Music Spring Tour 2010
- Birmingham Celebrates Two Top Arts Awards
- Birmingham’s Big City Culture Goes International!
Help us shape the Birmingham bid
Subscribe to RSS Monday, 12th April, 2010
The deadline is fast approaching and you have just 31 days left to have a say in Birmingham's bid to be the UK City of Culture for 2013.
The bid team want people across the city to help shape the bid, so click here to play your part.
Chairman of the Birmingham Cultural Partnership Cllr Martin Mullaney said: “Birmingham has always been an exciting and innovative city and we’re sure people across the city can play a significant role in shaping our bid to be the UK City of Culture in 2013.
“The most exciting element of this is that there’s no way to predict what will come out of the consultation. People can log onto the website and take us off in all sorts of creative and wonderful directions.
“The important thing here is that this is a Birmingham-wide bid – it’s not just about the council or the many high profile arts and cultural organisations in the city.
“We want people across the city to make their mark so individuals and organisations from the grassroots up can be part of the Birmingham story.
“If you have ideas, please log onto the website and share them. If you don’t have an idea at the moment but are interested in the process, log onto the website for inspiration.”
Some of the latest ideas
Daniel Godfrey: A large styling/upcycling clothes customisation and swopshop event that brings independent designers together to profile the massive amounts of creativity in the area that are currently untapped, to bring people together in a creative and sustainable way that promotes reducing consumption of new materials and adding value to old and discarded materials. I would also like to see arts events - live gallery/open studio events and workshops to bring art to the people. break down barriers that exist in the perception of art and artists. Similar to Artsfest but funded to enable more freelancers to participate who cannot afford to maintain running costs and be at big events.
Alison: I like the way the German Market brings people together in a relaxed environment and in an outdoor space - something similar in the summer months would be great, with barbeques and activities for young people and interesting things to 'browse' for people who prefer a slower pace!
Karlina Hall: Bring together various artists to exhibit their creations in public spaces across Birmingham City Centre to create a cultural trail. The trail will encourage a range of audiences to explore places of cultural significance and connect with Birmingham’s artistic communities as part of an interactive experience that can be enjoyed and accessed by all!
Dan: A huge Carnival of Light as a secular and inclusive festival that turns Diwali into a city-wide event where everyone can get involved. With a huge Indian population, it could be one of the largest in the world outside India.
If you would like to vote for any of these ideas or add a suggestion of your own, click here to have your say. This is your bid.